Preschool at JMS
We support individual family needs. We consider all Deaf and Hard of Hearing students’ language development and social emotional needs! Our teachers are trained and licensed in either Bilingual Deaf Education or Listening and Spoken Language. We strongly believe in play based learning! At JMS, our school staff work with families to determine what your child needs at JMS. We consider all the factors for your child and design a schedule that fits your child the best. Some students spend time in one classroom all day, while others balance their times between both classrooms.
The goal of our bilingual ASL-English classrooms is to support the acquisition, learning and use of ASL and English to meet the needs of our deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Students develop age-appropriate language and literacy skills in both ASL & English (written).
- Teachers focus on developing receptive and expressive ASL and written English.
- Teachers are trained and licensed in bilingual Deaf Education.
- Students are monitored closely to ensure their needs, language growth and academic milestones are being met.
- Interaction with Deaf Culture and Deaf adults are valued and included.
- ASL and English are each developed, used, and equally valued.
Listening and Spoken Language Classroom (LSL)
The goal of our Listening and Spoken Language classroom is to support the acquisition, learning and use of spoken English to meet the needs of our deaf and hard of hearing students.
- Develop spoken language skills as comparable to same-aged peers.
- Hearing technology supports auditory brain development.
- Teachers are experts and understand how language, listening, and speech develops in order to maximize residual hearing.
- Self-advocacy skills are taught to help children learn to manage their hearing needs.
General Preschool Schedule
|9:00||Arrival: bathroom/diaper check, snack, listening checks|
|9:00-10:00||Open Centers: Learning through thematic based play|
|10:00-11:00||“Power Hour” – Language Based Instruction|
|11:55-12:15||ASL Instruction or Music Time|
|12:15-1:15||“Power Hour” – Language Based Instruction|
|1:15-1:30||Dismissal: clean up, bathroom, pack up & go out|
Mondays-Thursdays are 9:00-1:30
Fridays are 9:00-12:00
We have a lot of fieldtrips, fun family activities and parent coaching on Fridays.
Speciality Services at JMS
Services are determined by the IEP team:.
- ASL Specialist
- Audiology Habilitation
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Social Work
- Speech & Language Pathologist