Skip to content
LEAD-K in Utah
LEAD-K stands for Language Equality & Acquisition for Deaf Kids (LEAD-K) This national initiative promotes language equality and acquisition to ensure that Deaf Kids are Kindergarten-Ready.
Utah LEAD-K Committee Goals:
- Recommend appropriate assessment tools for deaf and hard of hearing children from 0 – 5 years of age.
- Recommend language developmental milestones for deaf and hard of hearing children age 0 – 5 years of age.
- Provide input to USD to create a published parent resource outlining these developmental milestones and expressing the need for language acquisition in the early years of life.
- November 2016: Ad hoc advisory committee created.
- January 2017: First LEAD-K committee meeting.
- December 2017: Assessments presented to the Advisory Council.
- March 2018: Developmental milestones established.
- April 2018: Began process for the creation of a brochure.
- September 2018: Began work on creating tools in the Utah early intervention system.
- January 2019: Brochure finalized.
- March 2019: Brochures printed and distributed to doctors and early intervention agencies across the State of Utah.
- September 2020: News conference discussing milestones and LEAD-K accomplishments.